Jack’s the lad as Town beat Pompey
JACK Marriott scored his fifth goal in as many games as Ipswich Under-18s returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory at basement side Portsmouth.
Town dominated the first half without creating too many chances although Marriott went close following a corner.
Against the run of play, Pompey opened the scoring with their only attack of the half when Cody Cropper, making a rare appearance, spilled a shot and a grateful Ashley Harris fired home.
Town grabbed a deserved equaliser in the 55th minute with a typical close range finish from Jide Maduako. Russell Osman rang the changes and on 75 minutes they finally made the breakthrough when the Pompey keeper presented Marriott with a simple chance after a horrendous mix-up with a defender.
It was Marriott’s fifth goal in as many games and he and his strike partner Jack Simmons had looked lively until the latter was forced off with injury.
You may also want to watch:
Aaron Jones was outstanding for Town who return to home action when they entertain Arsenal at Playford Road next Saturday (11am ko).
Team – Cropper, Jones, October, Thorsteinnson, Maduako, Schroder, Meikle, Bennett, Marriott, Simmons, Leddy
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
Subs. O’Donnell, Scotcher, Timlin, Lawrence, Winter.