Jason Scotland hopes his super strike will seal a new deal with the Blues
JASON Scotland hopes his wonder strike at Crystal Palace will prove the clincher to him earning a new contract.
The veteran striker rolled back the years with a wonderful equaliser at Selhurst Park as Ipswich came back to earn a deserved point in Saturday’s 1-1 draw.
And ex-Swansea hitman Scotland, again preferred to out-of-sorts Michael Chopra, reiterated his desire to remain at Portman Road as his current contract nears its conclusion.
The 33-year-old last month waived his right to a new deal – on the same money – if he made 19 league starts.
And after ironically reaching that total in Saturday’s draw, Scotland said: “It was a difficult decision (to waive the deal).
You may also want to watch:
“With the two games to go, I understand why the club couldn’t start me. So I went in and spoke to the gaffer and told him I just want to play.
“I was on the bench and not starting, but I just want to enjoy my football and see where it takes me. I want to stay. I’m talking with the owner and the gaffer and we will just have to wait and see.”
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
Scotland took his season’s tally to eight, still one behind former loanee Keith Andrew, but immediately set himself a target for the remaining three matches of the season.
The striker, who is due to meet with owner Marcus Evans tomorrow, explained: “It was the best goal I have scored this season – a good one from distance.
“I’m happy with my form. I came in against Leicester last Monday and have now scored two in two. There are a few games left and I just want to enjoy it – I would like to get 10 for the season.”