Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is loving life with the Tractor Boyz
MAN-of-the-moment Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is loving life with the Tractor Boyz.
The mercurial Ipswich frontman gave an exhilarating cameo in Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Birmingham City, rescuing a point for Town while continuing his personal battle with the Portman Road woodwork.
Off-the-pitch, he might exude coolness and a swagger befitting the rappers he often associates with – a world away from Suffolk’s farming heritage.
But that hasn’t stopped the 21-year-old from embracing his new county’s reputation as he prepares to play an even bigger part in next season’s anticipated promotion push.
Emmanuel-Thomas said: “I actually like the ‘Tractor Boys’ nickname – it is nice to be thought of like that. I have a good laugh at it, but I think it is a good one.”
You may also want to watch:
The attacker’s comments are just further signs of him settling into life away from the capital after joining from Arsenal last summer.
After a slow start, he has quickly won fans over giving another taste of his skills at Portman Road on Tuesday night.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
The former Arsenal man, who constantly refers to the Tractor Boys with a ‘Z’ on Twitter, took his place in the recent launch of next season’s home and away kit – an innovative video which saw the club return to its farming roots at Easton Farm Park.
And the JET appeal has clearly had a factor with more than 120,000 views of the launch video in an estimated 155 countries. There has even been a version translated into Polish.
Emmanuel-Thomas said: “I had a great laugh doing the video. I got a message saying I had been selected for the kit launch which was fine and cool. Then I got another text saying we were going to a farm to film the video.
“I didn’t know where we going or where the farm was and I wasn’t sure about all the different animals. It was a bit cold but a really enjoyable experience."