JET has never felt fitter after attending running school frequented by Usain Bolt
JAY Emmanuel-Thomas is hoping a touch of Olympic magic will help him become one of the Championship’s most feared attackers this season.
The Blues’ most enigmatic player believes he has never felt fitter – and has put it down to spending the summer at a top running school once frequented by the fastest man on the planet, Usain Bolt.
Now JET is ready to fully unleash himself on the second tier of English football and show Town fans that he has the consistency to go with his natural flair.
He said: “I went to The Running School in Chiswick over the summer to work on my running technique and do short bursts of about 16 seconds running.
“Usain Bolt had gone there as well as Great Britain athletes and other footballers. I knew it had a good outcome on other players who had done it and I thought it would be good for me.
You may also want to watch:
“It has benefited me quite a lot. I came back into pre-season expecting to die but I managed to survive and complete all the running – it has been very good.”
Emmanuel-Thomas will take his place in Paul Jewell’s young team ahead of tomorrow’s testing start to the Championship at home to newly-relegated and big-spending Blackburn Rovers (3pm kick-off).
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
And he has promised fans an even greater show after his first season at Portman Road saw the best and worst of the 21-year-old.
He said: “I think this is the first pre-season I have done which was really hard – this is the fittest I have been in my career. The manager wanted me to come back in a decent shape, a lot better than when I signed last season. Now I’m flying and ready to go.”
Emmanuel-Thomas’ visited the renowned running school before joining up with the Town squad for pre-season – at the same time as Michael Chopra visited his own fitness camp in California.
And after London Olympic triple gold medalist Bolt admitted he would love to have a trial at Manchester United, JET joked: “I might not be able to give him a run for his money on the track – but I certainly can on the pitch.”