Jewell admits gamble over new keeper
PAUL Jewell has admitted he is taking a gamble over the season-long loan signing of David Stockdale.
The 25-year-old signed from Fulham on Tuesday and just hours later impressed during the abandoned friendly against Colchester United.
But due to a 24-hour release clause in his contract, Stockdale could leave Portman Road at any time this season.
Jewell said: “That is obviously a bit of a risk we are taking but he is a quality goalkeeper.”
The Town boss was also quick to reiterate that he wanted Marton Fulop to remain at the club, even though Stockdale seems set to start the season as the number one.
You may also want to watch:
Jewell said: “We like that type of competition throughout the team.”
Stockdale impressed during his bow at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, making one fantastic save to deny Anthony Wordsworth.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema