Jewell confirms Ingimarsson signing
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has confirmed that Icelandic centre-back �var Ingimarsson will join the club on a one-year deal at the beginning of next month.
The 33-year-old – soon to be 34 – has 30 international caps to his name. He was released by Reading at the end of the season having made nearly 300 appearances for the Royals over an eight year spell.
Town’s interest in the experienced centre-back was exclusively revealed in the EADT last Tuesday.
He becomes the Suffolk club’s second signing of the summer after Cardiff City striker Michael Chopra’s arrival from Cardiff City for a fee believed to be around �1.5m.
“We actually managed to meet up while we were both away on holiday in Spain,” said Jewell this morning. “He’s going to join us on July 1st.
“His age doesn’t concern me. He played 25 games for Reading last season, he knows what the Championship is all about and he knows what it takes to get promoted.
“When I look back at my time at Bradford and Wigan, I had players there like John Dreyer, Matt Jackson, (Jason) De Vos and (Arjan) De Zeeuw.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 8 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 9 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 10 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
“None of them were the quickest but they all knew how to defend at that level. As far as I’m concerned, knowing the game is the most important thing at centre-back.”
Ingimarsson captained Reading numerous times and was last week hailed as a ‘leader of men’ by former Icelandic team mate and ex Ipswich defender Hermann Hreidarsson.
– For more on Paul Jewell’s plans in the transfer market, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star. Further Ipswich Town news to follow on this website throughout the day.