Jewell gives hint of his striker target
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell gave a broad hint to which one of his summer targets might be when he watched the Derby County versus Doncaster Rovers Championship match on Tuesday.
Billy Sharp scored two smart goals as the visitors won 3-1 and could well be high on Jewell’s shopping list.
The 25-year-old also scored a brace when Doncaster visited Portman Road in Jewell’s first home game in charge after taking over from Roy Keane.
Having been on loan for most of last season at the Keepmoat Stadium, Sharp was purchased from Sheffield United for �1.1million last summer.
In his time with Doncaster he has netted 30 times in 63 appearances having previously found the target 56 times in 96 appearances for Scunthorpe before joining the Blades in July 2007 where his first team outings mounted to just 64 (13 goals) in three years.
You may also want to watch:
Sharp is a proven Championship scorer and about to reach the peak of his career. A summer bid of around �1.5million would certainly tempt Doncaster and give manager Sean O’Driscoll some cash in which to increase his squad.
Reports that Town owner Marcus Evans was at Jewell’s former club Derby on Tuesday were wide of the mark with Evans having his customary post match chat with Jewell after Saturday’s home defeat by Portsmouth.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 5 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 8 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
Jewell, who has identified four or five players he wants to bring in by the start of next season, has been linked with West Brom’s Simon Cox and Aston Villa’s Nathan Delfouneso having revealed that he had enquiries about two Premier League players turned down last week.
Cox is also believed to be interesting Norwich City.
Ronan Murray scored twice as Town beat their Norwich City reserve counterparts 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Playford Road on Tuesday while Ian McLoughlin made his senior debut when his month-loan loan to Stockport was completed and he kept goal in a 2-1 defeat at Cheltenham.