Jewell hunting for fourth centre-back
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell is keen to add a fourth centre-back to his squad before the start of the new Championship season.
The Blues boss was forced into playing both Damien Delaney and Tommy Smith for the entire 90 minutes of yesterday’s 2-0 friendly win over FC Eindhoven in Holland due to the fact that his only other centre-back – summer signing Ivar Ingimarsson – had picked up a thigh injury in training.
Jack Ainsley also played the full match at right-back after Carlos Edwards picked up a knock to his hip on the training pitch.
“It wasn’t ideal because we don’t want to be playing too many players for the full match at this stage of the season,” said Jewell.
“We had two left-footers at centre-half too which isn’t ideal either, but we got through the game.
You may also want to watch:
“We need another one in there, no doubt about that.
“We’ve got good players in that position but we can’t afford to go into the season without another centre-half that can try and push into the team.”
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 8 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 9 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 10 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
Ipswich play the second and final game of their week-long stay in Holland tomorrow night when they visit Den Bosch – another second tier side. Kick-off is at 6pm (GMT).