Jewell: I had no choice but to rely on loan players with up to seven vying for starts
Paul Jewell has admitted he has no choice but to rely on loan players to save his job.
The Blues boss last night made it five temporary players on the books after signing Leicester City midfielder Richie Wellens on a one-month deal.
He is set to be joined today by fellow loanee Bilel Mohsni from Southend United and possibly striker DJ Campbell from QPR as Jewell looks to bolster his ranks ahead of tomorrow night’s televised match at home to Cardiff City (5.20pm ko).
Having spent the summer bigging up his long-term plans for Ipswich, and backing that up with the youthful nature of his squad, Jewell has now overloaded his side with players from other teams – including three in the heart of the midfield. While Wellens will add some Championship class to second-bottom Town, Leicester are using the one-month deal to improve the 33-year-old’s match fitness.
Jewell said: “We don’t want to bring loans in, but we have to for the short-term just to get us out of this sticky situation.
You may also want to watch:
“Marcus Evans (owner) is backing me. He is aware we need a bit of help and he is trying to do that. There has always been money available for me to get players in, but it is about getting the right ones. It is a balancing act.”
Though the number of loan players in a matchday squad is restricted to five, Daryl Murphy and Guirane N’Daw do not count in that quota as they are classed as overseas.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
This could mean that a total of seven loan players are in Jewell’s 18-man squad for tomorrow’s crucial match.