Jewell keeping close eye on Town youth
RUSSELL Osman has praised the “great interest” shown by Paul Jewell in the youngsters coming through the Ipswich academy.
Some of the current youth crop featured for the reserves in Monday’s 3-1 victory over Tottenham with youngsters Ronan Murray, Jide Maduako and Jack Marriott getting on the scoresheet.
Under-18s boss Osman said he was delighted with how the academy boys were progressing and believe Jewell is playing a crucial role in their development.
Osman said: “We’ve got a good crop of players of both first and second year scholars, who are all progressing nicely at the moment.
“The manager has been keeping an eye on them this season and has shown a great interest into how the boys are doing, which is great for them.
You may also want to watch:
“We keep stressing that the results aren’t the important aspects of Academy football, it’s more about the development of the players and preparing them for the next level of football.
“A few of them have had a taste of that playing for the reserves recently, against some top opposition, which will only benefit their development.”
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson