Jewell quashes Leadbitter exit rumours
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has rubbished reports that skipper Grant Leadbitter is set to join Championship rivals Portsmouth in a �2m move.
National newspapers speculated that Pompey had bid to bring Leadbitter to Fratton Park in order to link him up with David Norris again in central midfield.
However, Jewell – who signed midfeilder Keith Andrews on loan from Blackburn this week – has moved quickly to insist that the former Sunderland man is central to his plans.
“There has been no bid for Grant and the owner (Marcus Evans) and I are planning to sit down with him next week and offer a new deal,” said the Blues boss.
Leadbitter, who is heading into the final year of his contract, was made captain by Jewell this summer following Norris’ departure.
You may also want to watch:
– For full match previews of this afternoon’s game between Ipswich and Hull, see today’s EADT and Evening Star.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week