Jewell reveals bid for ex-Norwich promotion hero
JAY Emmanuel-Thomas was not the only Arsenal youngster Paul Jewell tried to sign permanently this summer.
WE can reveal that the Ipswich Town boss also made a bold bid for fellow young Gunner Henri Lansbury to add creativity to his midfield.
But Lansbury, who spent much of last season on loan with arch rivals Norwich, turned down the move as he wanted to stay and try and impress Arsene Wenger.
Subsequently, the Arsenal boss signed established Premier League midfielders Mikel Arteta and Yossi Benayoun and Lansbury has been forced back out on loan with Town’s Championship rivals West Ham.
But Jewell revealed: “We went for the boy Lansbury in the summer and his agent wanted to see if he can give it a go at Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
“He was probably told late last Wednesday (deadline day) that he wouldn’t be in the squad. I understand that. “If I was a player, I would want to give it every opportunity I could to play in the Premier League.”
Lansbury, who will now be lining up against Town for the Hammers later this month, played a total of 23 games for Norwich last season, scoring four goals in their promotion campaign.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Jewell also revealed that he didn’t follow up his interest in former West Brom defender Pablo Ibanez, who last week joined Birmingham City on a permanent deal, following Ibrahima Sonko’s debut performance against Leeds United.