Jewell still targets two
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he still hopes to sign two more players by the end of the week.
The Blues boss is keen to add another centre-back, with Damien Delaney’s ankle injury leaving him with just Ivar Ingimarsson and Tommy Smith in that position for tomorrow night’s League Cup first round game against Northampton Town.
He also confirmed he is looking for another goalkeeper following Marton Fulop’s free transfer switch to West Brom.
The EADT and Evening Star understands that talks were held with Blackburn Rovers midfielder Keith Andrews last week regarding a loan swich, but the Premier League club have proved difficult to get hold of.
Jewell admitted last week that one club wasn’t returning his calls and says the situation hasn’t changed over the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“I still haven’t got an answer,” said Jewell. “I still want to get a couple of players in by the weekend – just because we won at the weekend (3-0 at Bristol City) that doesn’t mean I’m still not looking to strengthen.
“I know we are light at centre-back and I will be looking for another goalkeeper.”
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
Reports in Hull say that Jewell may look to hijack the Tigers’ move for Liverpool defender Daniel Ayala, but the Blues boss refused to comment on specific names.
“I want to carry out my transfer business quietly,” said Jewell. “I’m not going to comment on speculation, but things are ongoing.”