Jewell to make late decision on Palace team
Paul Jewell has admitted he has a “few things flying in my mind” as he decides whether to change his team for the first time in six matches.
Ipswich town: The Blues boss might be forced to make changes with centre back Ibrahima Sonko doubtful and Jewell coyly revealing that one or two players are “carrying knocks”, without divulging firm details.
And it seems performances in training – both yesterday and today – could go a long way to making up the manager’s mind.
The Town boss confirmed: “Anyone can play their way in or out of the team through a performance in training. I’m a big believer in training like you play – it is vitally important.
“You don’t pick a team, whether there are changes or not, without mulling things over in your mind. “And you can change a winning team - there’s nothing wrong with that.”
You may also want to watch:
Though refusing to confirm the extent of the injury doubts, suggesting he might gamble on one or two players, Jewell admitted the performance of some during the hard-fought win over Portsmouth could alter his thinking.
He explained: “I did think one or two players looked a little bit flat on Tuesday. But they might come in this morning full of bounce and, if I was thinking of making changes, they could change my mind by training well.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
“Whatever I think is best for the team on Saturday, I will do that. If I think it’s the right thing to make changes, I will.
“I’ve got a few things flying about in my mind at the moment. But I’ll decide on the team late because we’ve got one or two players carrying knocks that we don’t want the world to know about.”
While Sonko is the biggest doubt, both Jason Scotland and Michael Chopra upfront have been taken off in the last two matches and Nathan Ellington, Daryl Murphy and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas are all waiting in the wings.