Jewell trying hard to spend Connor cash
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell insists he is doing everything he can to reinvest the money received for Connor Wickham into new signings.
“We are trying to spend money, believe you me,” said Jewell, who has already brought in eight new faces this summer.
“I bid �1 million for a Championship player six weeks ago, �800,000 for a Premier League player and �3 million for Jay Rodriquez (Burnley winger) which was turned down. We made enquiries about Matt Mills and Sean St Ledger too but couldn’t compete with Leicester.
“I even tried to get a player from Copenhagen but they wouldn’t sell him. The frustration has been enormous, but we have to be careful not to make the signings out of desperation.”
Meanwhile, Jewell confirmed that he has spoken to West Brom about the prospect of signing Spanish international centre-back Pablo Ibanez on loan and did not rule out a move for free agent Ibrahima Sonko.
You may also want to watch:
– See today’s EADT and Evening Star for packed match previews ahead of the tea time match between Peterborough and Ipswich (5.20pm, live on Sky).
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds