Jewell wants more players after missing out on Shelvey
The perfect formula has seemingly been found in recent weeks – but that won’t stop Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell looking for further reinforcements.
Many assumed that last week’s loan addition of highly-rated teenage right-back Reece Wabara from Manchester City – Jewell’s 13th signing since the end of last season – would be the final piece in the jigsaw.
However, despite a settled side achieving a superb return of 10 points from the last four games, the Town manager admits he is still in the market for fresh talent that will keep his current stars on their toes.
Jewell has revealed that he tried to get Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey on loan last week, only for the teenage midfielder to go to Championship rivals Blackpool where he scored on his debut at the weekend.
And he won’t stop looking.
You may also want to watch:
“We tried to get the boy Shelvey here last Friday but we couldn’t guarantee him a start and Blackpool could,” said the Blues boss.
“We’re looking for all types of players. You can only have five loan players in your match day squad so we can’t bring loads in, but we’re always looking to improve the squad.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
“Sometimes when you get a couple of wins on the bounce you can almost sit back and think you’ve cracked it.
“We haven’t cracked it and I don’t want the players to think that. I want them to want to improve and stay in the team.”
Town currently have five loanees in David Stockdale (Fulham), Danny Collins (Stoke), Wabara (Fulham), Keith Andrews (Blackburn) and Daryl Murphy (Celtic), though the latter doesn’t count towards the five-man restriction as he has not come from an English club.