Jim won't face Keegan or 'Curbs' dilemma
JIM Magilton will never face the dilemmas that have rocked the managers at Newcastle and West Ham while he is Ipswich Town boss.Blues chief executive Derek Bowden last night ruled out any plans to bring a director off football to Portman Road and has made it clear Magilton is the man who chooses the players he wants brought into the club, and those he wants eased out.
JIM Magilton will never face the dilemmas that have rocked the managers at Newcastle and West Ham while he is Ipswich Town boss.
Blues chief executive Derek Bowden last night ruled out any plans to bring a director off football to Portman Road and has made it clear Magilton is the man who chooses the players he wants brought into the club, and those he wants eased out.
Kevin Keegan last night followed Alan Curbishley in resigning as a Premier League boss over a row about the responsibility of buying and selling players.
You may also want to watch:
Keegan is understood to be livid at Dennis Wise's role as director of football which allowed him to sell players like James Milner and offer Michael Owen for sale.
Curbishley was angry that Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney were allowed to go to Sunderland against his wishes.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 8 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 9 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
Town have never had a director of football as such, although George Burley did bring in Bryan Hamilton to help him on the football side when he was manager, and Bowden insisted there would only ever be one person in charge of football matters at Portman Road.
Bowden said: “There are no plans to bring in a director of football or augment Jim's team. Jim has a very good and complete team around him already and he is happy with that as we are.
“I don't play the role of director of football at all, what I do among other things is once targets have been identified I approach clubs and negotiate with them, then the agent and the player.
“Jim runs the football side of this club and all I do is facilitate the arriving and some existing players leaving.”
Bryan Klug is his first team coach, while Steve Foley is technical skills coach and James Holman goalkeeping coach.
Magilton took on Simon Hunt as overseas scout in the summer, while Charlie Woods and Steve McCall hold the scouting duties in the UK.