Jim won't face Keegan or 'Curbs' dilemma
JIM Magilton will never face the dilemmas that have rocked the managers at Newcastle and West Ham while he is Ipswich Town boss.Blues chief executive Derek Bowden last night ruled out any plans to bring a director off football to Portman Road and has made it clear Magilton is the man who chooses the players he wants brought into the club, and those he wants eased out.
JIM Magilton will never face the dilemmas that have rocked the managers at Newcastle and West Ham while he is Ipswich Town boss.
Blues chief executive Derek Bowden last night ruled out any plans to bring a director off football to Portman Road and has made it clear Magilton is the man who chooses the players he wants brought into the club, and those he wants eased out.
Kevin Keegan last night followed Alan Curbishley in resigning as a Premier League boss over a row about the responsibility of buying and selling players.
Keegan is understood to be livid at Dennis Wise's role as director of football which allowed him to sell players like James Milner and offer Michael Owen for sale.
Curbishley was angry that Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney were allowed to go to Sunderland against his wishes.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 4 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 5 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 6 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 7 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 10 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
Town have never had a director of football as such, although George Burley did bring in Bryan Hamilton to help him on the football side when he was manager, and Bowden insisted there would only ever be one person in charge of football matters at Portman Road.
Bowden said: “There are no plans to bring in a director of football or augment Jim's team. Jim has a very good and complete team around him already and he is happy with that as we are.
“I don't play the role of director of football at all, what I do among other things is once targets have been identified I approach clubs and negotiate with them, then the agent and the player.
“Jim runs the football side of this club and all I do is facilitate the arriving and some existing players leaving.”
Bryan Klug is his first team coach, while Steve Foley is technical skills coach and James Holman goalkeeping coach.
Magilton took on Simon Hunt as overseas scout in the summer, while Charlie Woods and Steve McCall hold the scouting duties in the UK.