Jordan Adekunle joins Ipswich Town and Luke Hyam pens a contract extension
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have signed teenage winger Jordan Adekunle on a one-year deal following a trial period at the club.
The 17-year-old was most recently with League One side Crawley Town and featured against Ipswich for the Red Devils in pre-season.
He came on as a 68th minute substitute in that match and immediately caught the eye with his lightening pace and direct running. A trial with the Blues followed and, after turning out for Mark Kennedy’s Under-21 side at Portman Road last night, in a 2-0 defeat to Cardiff, he has signed a one-year deal.
“I’m delighted to sign for Ipswich,” he said. “It’s a great club and I can see the rich history of the place just by walking through the corridors here.
“The manager has given me a chance here, so I want to do well for the club and I’m just buzzing for the new season here really.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Town midfielder Luke Hyam has signed a contract extension until the summer of 2016.
“Obviously I’m delighted,” said the 21-year-old academy graduate. “Everyone knows this is my hometown club and I want to stay here as long as possible.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 4 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 5 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 6 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 7 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 8 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 9 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 10 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
“I’m really enjoying my football at the moment and I feel like I am progressing as a player, although I know I have a long, long way to go yet.
“It’s a massive boost for me that the manager has given me this new contract and I just want to keep working hard and play my part in moving Ipswich Town forward.”
Fellow central midfielder Cole Skuse missed the club’s open training session at Portman Road this lunchtime – watched by hundreds of young fans – instead receiving treatment on the Achilles/ankle injury he sustained in last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at QPR. He is hopeful of being fit for this Saturday’s visit of Leeds.
He said: “It’s my Achilles and ankle. It was a strange one, I made a tackle and everything jarred up. It’s probably old age more than anything!
“I won’t be training today. I’m pencilled in for a bit of TLC with the physios, so will be keeping a close eye on the lads sweating in the heat!
“It’s a lighter day to rest up and I’m hoping I’ll be able to get strapped up and be ready to go for the weekend.”
– For all the latest Blues news, see tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star.