Kieron Dyer could play at Portman Road next weekend – as a Middlesbrough player
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
MIDDLESBROUGH manager Tony Mowbray is hoping to sign his former Ipswich Town team-mate Kieron Dyer ahead of his side’s match at Portman Road on Saturday.
Having recently been released by Premier League QPR, the 34-year-old midfielder – who still lives in Ipswich – has been training with the Blues’ youth team at Playford Road to keep up his fitness.
Town manager Mick McCarthy is in need of a creative presence in his midfield, but he confirmed last week that Dyer was speaking to other clubs.
“If Kieron was fit and playing for us then he would be a huge asset for our club,” said Mowbray, after his side’s 2-1 win over Aldershot ion the FA Cup on Saturday.
“I’ve watched some footage of him playing against Gareth Bale for QPR and he did well.
“He’s scored in the FA Cup against West Brom and he’s been available, fit and playing.
“I’ll have to see if something can be done and we might be close to that. If Kieron plays football for us and helps win football matches then I think he would be an asset.”
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 7 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 8 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 9 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
According to reports, Dyer would be on a £10,000-a-game pay-as-you-play deal. Crystal Palace and Fulham are also said to have shown interest.