Kilmarnock manager hits back at Ipswich Town boss
- Credit: Archant
KILMARNOCK boss Kenny Shiels has hit back at Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy, who yesterday branded him a liar.
Shiels declared last week that Town had expressed an interest in signing his goalkeeper, Cammy Bell, at the end of the season.
However, when quizzed about the player at yesterday’s press conference to preview tonight’s game against Watford, McCarthy revealed there had been no contact over the player, adding: “It was a lie if he (Shiels) confirmed it.
“Do you want me to say it again? There’s no truth in it – he’s lying or he’s telling fibs. Is lying too strong a word?
“I’ve not spoken to him and if somebody from this club has spoken to him they’ve done it without me saying so. If that’s the case then I’m going to be pretty cheesed.
You may also want to watch:
“Does that clear that one up?
Shiels has since responded and insists he has done nothing to be sorry for.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 8 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 9 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
“I’ve done nothing wrong and Mick is wrong,” said the Ulsterman.
“Ipswich Town haven’t spoken to me about Cammy Bell and I never said that they had – I just said that there was interest from Ipswich Town.
“Basically I got a phone call from an agent who said there was interest in Cammy Bell from Ipswich Town.
“Then at my press conference last week I was asked if Cammy was going to Rangers.
“I said I hadn’t been told he had and that apparently there was interest from Ipswich.
“I’m surprised Mick didn’t ring me to say, ‘What’s happening here because you’re saying we’re interested in your keeper and it’s not the case. I expected some sort of call but it didn’t come.
“I was just conveying a message to the press that I had taken a call from this agent.”
He added: “I’ve got nothing to hide. Will I try to phone Mick? I don’t think I have to do anything.”