Lads are delighted with manager - Delaney
IPSWICH Town defender Damien Delaney voiced what every Blues supporter is currently thinking – that manager Paul Jewell is doing a fantastic job at Portman Road.
Delaney played his part to the full as Town held promotion candidates Leeds United to a goalless npower Championship draw at Elland Road on Saturday as the visitors showed a resolve that they did not possess earlier in the campaign.
Jewell replaced Roy Keane in early January and although he has some way to go to turn Ipswich into a real force it is obvious that the club is moving in the right direction.
“Yeah, we are getting there,” confirmed Delaney. “If slowly.
“Next season looks as though it will be the one.
You may also want to watch:
“By then the manager will have put his stamp on the team, and with a full pre-season behind us it should be a successful season.
“When he came in he was almost picking up the pieces.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 9 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
“And he’s doing a fabulous job, and the lads are delighted and hopeful that we’ll do well next season.”
Whether Delany, and 20 others who are out of contract in the summer, will still be at Portman Road come the opening day of the new campaign remains to be seen.
Delaney has left everybody in no doubt that he wants to stay and sign a new deal although he is available on a free transfer to any bidder that may offer him a sharp increase in salary.
“I’ve said countless times how much I want to stay – everybody knows that,” added Delaney.
“I love the area and love playing for this club.”
When asked if his contract negotiations had moved on he replied: “Has anything moved? I’m still waiting for anything to get going!
“I’ve not heard a word from anyone.
“I am comfortable with the situation.
“If the club wants us they want us, but I am not going cap in hand begging for a contract.
“If they want us they know where we are.
“But listen, at the end of the day we want to finish this season on a high and then come on again next season.”
Delaney admitted that Town had to defend too much after the break on Saturday.
He said: “It was a nice bonus to keep a clean sheet and at half-time we were doing very well.
“In the second half we defended too much but that was mainly down to Leeds who are a top-six side and managed to get their tails up.
“Gareth McAuley did really well and the lads at the back helped to get the job done.”