Lavery the difference as Town XI win at Haverhill
PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY Haverhill Rovers 1 Ipswich Town XI 2
SHANE O’Connor captained an Ipswich Town XI to a routine 2-1 victory over a spirited Haverhill Rovers side in front of a packed New Croft.
Striker Caolan Lavery proved the difference, scoring twice in as many minutes midway through the first half.
Ipswich, who also started with Ronan Murray upfront, impressed at times. That said, Rovers striker Dalton O’Brien missed a gilt-edged chance with the scores goalless, latching onto an horrendous error from Elliott Scotcher but shooting straight at Cody Cropper.
Town made the breakthrough when Joe Whight played in Lavery who beat keeper Liam Cutts before calmly side-footing the ball into the empty net.
You may also want to watch:
Within minutes, Lavery had doubled the visitors lead, tapping in after great work from Murray, who later hit a shot against the near post.
Rovers pulled a goal back when O’Brien played in the onrushing Joe Harvey who timed his run to perfection to control and loop the ball over Cropper.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 10 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
In a second half understandably disrupted by a plethora of substitutions, chances were more difficult to come by. The best fell to Rovers sub Matt Clarke who drew a great tip over from Town sub keeper Conor O’Donnell.
Starting line-ups – Haverhill: Liam Cutts, Paul Abbott, Stuart Wardley, Darren Coe, Greg Strong, Jack Wilkinson, Joe Harvey, Jamie Challis, Dalton O’Brien, Louis Harper, Mark Abbott.
Ipswich: Cody Cropper, Callum Bennett, David October, Elliott Scotcher, Jide Maduako, Shane O’Connor, Tom Winter, Cormac Burke, Caolan Lavery, Ronan Murray, Joe Whight.