Long way to go on Titus Bramble return, says Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy praised David October’s super strike after the young left-back sealed victory at Gillingham in stoppage-time.
The 18-year-old – who was handed his first professional deal this summer – struck with the last kick of the game, a terrific right-foot volley on the angle after David McGoldrick had given Blues a first-half lead with an equally fine strike from a 30-yard free-kick.
Ex-Norwich striker Cody McDonald equalised for the home side but Town had the better chances before October’s winner maintained Town’s 100 per cent pre-season campaign.
“I wasn’t expecting that from Rocco,” said McCarthy. “It was a fabulous finish, an unbelievably technical right foot finish.
“I think we deserved to win. Their keeper made some terrific saves and we edged it. I know it’s only pre-season but it’s always nice to win.”
You may also want to watch:
Town had three trialists in the team, Frederic Veseli, Titus Bramble and Bongali Khumalo and the boss was impressed with them all.
“Bongali and Freddy did really well and Titus did what Titus had to do,” added Mick.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
“I only met up with Titus for the first time today at our pre-match meal. He asked Simon Milton (academy sponsorship manager) if he could come in for training and wanted to play tonight.
“He’s obviously interested in coming here and we are interested in him otherwise he wouldn’t be playing for us. He showed a good commitment to come and play but it’s early days yet. No more than that.”
– For Titus Bramble’s thoughts on a potential move back to Ipswich Town, see tomorrow’s EADT.