LUKE CHAMBERS SIGNING: New boy not given up on Republic of Ireland call-up
LUKE Chambers has admitted he hopes to impress for the Blues – and earn a Republic of Ireland call-up in the bargain.
The 26-year-old, who came close to his first cap two seasons ago after impressing at Nottingham Forest, saw his slim chances of a Euro 2012 spot fall by the wayside after the club’s poor form last year.
But while focusing all his energies on simply breaking into Paul Jewell’s team, he knows the rewards a consistent campaign can bring.
Chambers is expected to get his first taste of action during next week’s tour of the Netherlands.
With Tommy Smith away with New Zealand at London 2012, Chambers and Damien Delaney will have ample time to forge a partnership while Jewell will also consider bringing in a fourth centre back.
You may also want to watch:
The former Forest man will be looking to replicate the kind of form that earned him player of the year at the City Ground just two seasons ago.
If he does that, he could be tasting his first experience of international football with the Republic of Ireland, ironically rivalling Delaney for a place in Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad.
- 1 Matchday Live: Millwall ahead in feisty pre-season clash
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 8 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 9 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 10 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
Having taking up Irish citizenship due to his grandfather’s nationality, Chambers said: “First and foremost I want to come here, play my football and be successful, performing at the level I know I can.
“If that happens, you never know what is round the corner. If that is an option, I would love to explore it.”