Magilton enlisted by Shamrock Rovers
FORMER Ipswich Town hero Jim Magilton has been named as assistant manager of Shamrock Rovers on a temporary basis.
The ex-Blues boss answered a cry for help from former Northern Ireland team mate Michael O’Neill to help the Airtricity League leaders who next week start their Champions League campaign against FC Flora Tallinn of Estonia.
Magilton will work with Rovers while the club consider permanent candidates for the number two position.
O’Neill said: “I thought Jim’s other commitments in Northern Ireland and the UK would prevent him helping me at this crucial stage of the season. “I was delighted when he said he would assist me until I find the right candidate for the job on a permanent basis.
“He brings not only a wealth of knowledge and experience of the game at the highest level, but he is someone I trust implicitly, and that was a key factor in my decision.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, David Nugent, the former Portsmouth striker who has been linked with Ipswich this summer, has agreed a free transfer to Championship rivals Leicester City on a three-year deal.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 5 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy