MANAGER’S REACTION: Jewell delighted with dominant victory
Ipswich v Bristol Rovers: Blues boss Paul Jewell was delighted that his side got their season off to a good start with an ultimately comfortable 3-1 victory over Bristol Rovers in the Capital One Cup first round.
The League Two visitors went ahead against the run of play with a superb 30-yard strike from right-back Michael Smith, but Ipswich stepped it up a gear to progress with goals from Jason Scotland, Tommy Smith and Aaron Cresswell.
With newly-relegated Blackburn Rovers coming to Portman Road on Saturday for the start of the new Championship campaign, Jewell said: “It’s a strange feeling having a cup tie on a Tuesday before the league season starts, but it was still a competitive game and it was important we got off to a good start.
“We had lots of the ball in the first half, but I felt we didn’t do enough with it.
“Sometimes you just have to hold up your hands and say that’s an excellent goal. I think that was only their second shot though.
“We showed good character after that. We’ve got a good spirit about us at the moment and I think you can see the players are enjoying passing the ball.
“Second half we created some more opportunities and could have scored more. We dominated the whole match if I’m being honest.”
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 8 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 9 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for further manager and player reaction.