MANAGER’S REACTION: ‘We were the better team,’ says Mick McCarthy
Peterborough v Ipswich: BLUES boss Mick McCarthy says Peterborough keeper Bobby Olejnik denied his side all three points at London Road.
The Austrian produced a smart one-on-one stop from Frank Nouble in the first half and then followed it up with an even better one soon after the restart, acrobatically clawing David McGoldrick’s header out of the top corner.
“I think we were the better team – we had the most of the chances and the best of the game,” said McCarthy, whose side remain four points above the Championship relegation zone. “If one performance deserved to win it, it was ours, but you’ve got to put the ball in the net.
“That said, the goalkeeper had a big part to play in that. He made two fabulous saves and then we didn’t make the most of our opportunities at times.
“We’ve had another decision go against us – a clear penalty that has again somehow not been given.
“I’ve seen it again and he (Jack Payne) moves his hand to the ball. I can’t see anything other than a penalty. I’m not one for rose-coloured specs, if it’s not it’s not, but he should have given that.”
He added: “I was asked yesterday ‘would I take a point?’ and I said ‘yes’. It keeps Peterborough down beneath us, but I’m slightly disappointed because I thought we played well enough to have won it.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 4 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 5 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 6 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 7 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 'He can trust me to do that' - Leigh on his new challenge at Town
“Listen, but for two fantastic saves today we’d have scored two goals. He’s got them the points, that’s my view. Let’s give him a bit of toffee.”
– See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for match analysis, comment and reaction.