Marcus Evans assures Ipswich Town supporters that he’s going nowhere
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town owner Marcus Evans has released a timely reiteration of his long-term commitment to the club.
Following Simon Clegg’s sudden departure from his role as chief executive last Tuesday, new managing director Ian Milne responded to rumours earlier this week by insisting that – despite ‘unsolicited interest’ – the club was not for sale.
With the team battling Championship relegation following three successive bottom-half finishes, many Blues fans have inevitably begun to worry whether the multi-millionaire may be looking to cut his losses following five years of non-progress.
As a result, Evans – although still not willing to show his face or undertake interviews – has personally written an extensive set of programme notes ahead of tomorrow’s visit of Blackpool to Portman Road to ease such fears.
The EADT and Ipswich Star can today bring you the following exclusive highlights from the article, in which the Blues owner:
You may also want to watch:
– Admits that promotion to the Premier League is now harder than it was when he first bought the club five years ago, with necessary cost-cutting measures on the horizon ahead of new Financial Fair Play rules;
– Insists that Town still have an academy system stronger than the majority of their competitors and that the club will still have a budget that will enable them to be competitive at the top end of the table;
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
– Heaps praise on boss Mick McCarthy, insisting: “The club will continue to leave its managers free to manage without interference;”
– Assures that he will be ‘assessing any void that has appeared’ after Clegg’s departure;
– And thanks supporters for their continued backing, saying: “I can assure all fans that I will be doing everything I can to ensure our success in the years ahead.”
The full piece can be read in tomorrow’s match day programme, on sale at Portman Road or available to download online, with the club’s managing directors – Milne and Jonathan Symonds – due to give their first big interview next week.
– Blues boss Mick McCarthy is due to give his pre-match press conference at 1pm today. For all the latest news, follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter.