Marcus Evans returning from the Bahamas to sort out Ipswich Town contracts and budgets
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell will be told what his summer transfer budget is by owner Marcus Evans next Tuesday – and he is not expecting millions.
Attendances have steadily dropped at Portman Road since the 2004/5 season amid a national economic downturn, Championship clubs are set to receive significantly less television revenue next season, while the Football League is introducing new Financial Fair Play rules which will limit expenditure.
Blues chief executive Simon Clegg has already revealed that the club will be looking to reduce the players’ wage bill, with Jewell now admitting that he is planning to ‘wheel and deal’ this summer.
“Marcus has been in the Bahamas and he unfortunately he didn’t offer to fly me over there!” revealed the Blues boss.
“I’m seeing him on Tuesday to go through the transfer budget, contracts – everything.
You may also want to watch:
“There won’t be lots of money for me to spend. Like a lot of managers I’ll have to wheel and deal because clubs can’t afford to pay their players what they used to. Instead of throwing money at it next year, we’ll need a system we can believe in and stick to.”
With Grant Leadbitter, Tommy Smith, Jason Scotland, Lee Bowyer and Ibrahima Sonko among those nearing the end of their deals, Jewell said: “Marcus has made a couple of offers to agents while he’s been away.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 6 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 8 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
“There’s been a lot of talking from us and the players, but we need to sort it out in the next week, 10 days, fortnight.
“Marcus has spoken with Tommy Smith’s agent and is seeing Jason Scotland on Tuesday.
“I’m trying to leave all the financial stuff to others. This time next week I might be able to tell you ‘yes’ or ‘no’ about various people.”
– See today’s EADT and Ipswich Star for all the latest Blues news.