MATCH REACTION: Ryan Stevenson pays tribute to ‘brilliant’ travelling Town fans
RYAN Stevenson has celebrated his wonder goal by paying tribute to the 1,266 Town fans inside Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium.
Stevenson blasted home a 30-yard goal off the underside of the bar during Ipswich’s 3-2 lunch-time win at relegated Rovers.
And he had special words of praise for the fantastic away following who ended up doing the conga after seeing goals from Tommy Smith and Jason Scotland, in between Stevenson’s special.
The former Hearts man said: “The fans were brilliant. It is a long journey up - especially when there is not a lot to play for.
“But the numbers who came and the noise they made is a massive help to the players. It gives us something to go away and think about over the summer.”
You may also want to watch:
Stevenson believed his side deserved the three points but conceded that Town allowed Doncaster back into the game after a dominant opening half an hour – capped by his long range strike.
He said: “We played really well for half an hour - I thought we were in total control.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
“But once we scored the second goal, we allowed them to come back into it and they created some good chances.
“In the second half, it was a bit scrappy. It was good to get the third goal but then their goal in injury time put a bit of a dampener on it.
“I think we deserved the win. At the end of the day, you are never going to dominate games all the way through. “You can’t play well every single week but we have had a great run since I have been here. It is a sign of a growing team that even when you don’t play well, you still manage to pick up three points.”