MATCH REPORT: Birmingham City 1 Ipswich Town 1
Birmingham v Ipswich: It was a familiar tale for Ipswich Town as they were made to pay for not making the most of some early dominance in a 1-1 draw at Birmingham City.
Mick McCarthy’s side – which contained five changes to the starting line-up – led 1-0 at the break courtesy of Christophe Berra’s close-range header.
The visitors could – and probably should – have been further in front though, with David McGoldrick twice denied by home keeper Darren Randolph, the Irish international diving full stretch to push one effort onto the post and rushing out quickly to save superbly at his feet.
Birmingham had created very little and that continued after the break, with Ipswich looking the more likely to add to the scoring.
An equaliser arrived out of nowhere in the 77th minute though as Town failed to clear a cross into the box and Chris Burke’s angled effort took a heavy deflection to loop over a helpless Dean Gerken.
The hosts briefly threatened after the leveller, but it was Ipswich who finished the game the stronger and the fact that keeper Randolph was named man-of-the-match told the story.
– Reaction to follow.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 5 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 6 Villages shock as seven Suffolk postboxes stolen in 10 days
- 7 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 8 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 9 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 10 Suspected drink driver who crashed into bush among five arrested in Newmarket area
Birmingham City (4-4-2): Randolph; Eardley (Allan 34), Bartley, Burn, Robinson; Burke, Adeyemi, Spector, Shinnie (Ferguson 58); Novak, Lovenkrands (Green 64).
Subs: Doyle, Mullins, Reilly, Elliott.
Ipswich Town (3-5-2): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Smith, Berra; Anderson (Edwards 63), Tunnicliffe (Tabb 79), Skuse, Hyam, Cresswell; Nouble (Murphy 67), McGoldrick.
Subs: Loach, Hewitt, Wordsworth, Taylor.