MATCH REPORT: Burnley 2 Ipswich Town 0
- Credit: Archant
Burnley v Ipswich: IPSWICH Town’s season ended with defeat as an experimental side lost 2-0 at Burnley.
Substitute Junior Stanislas’ fantastic 25-yard strike, on the hour mark, was the only moment of real quality in a lacklustre affair.
Burnley then sealed victory in the 87th minute when Martin Paterson glanced the ball home from close-range after Sam Vokes had flicked on a corner.
With both teams having secured their Championship safety the previous weekend, there was a distinct lack of tempo or edge to game with only mid-table positions to fight over.
There were some positives for the Blues to take out of the stale encounter though.
You may also want to watch:
Tyrone Mings – the December signing from non-league side Chippenham Town - enjoyed a solid debut at left-back, while Jack Marriott – the teenager who has scored 26 goals at youth team level this season – was lively when he came off the bench for his first appearance.
Ipswich finish the campaign 14th in the table on 60 points, but there are genuine signs that – under the management of Mick McCarthy and Terry Connor – next season, Town’s 12th successive campaign in the second tier, could finally yield some progress at Portman Road.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 5 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 6 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 7 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 8 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 9 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 10 Sweltering Suffolk could see hottest day this year ahead of thunderstorms
– Reaction to follow. See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for match comment and analysis.
BURNLEY (4-3-3): Grant (Jensen 90); Trippier (O’Neill 90), Long, Shackell, Lafferty; Stock (Stanislas 54), Marney, McCann; Ings, Vokes, Paterson.
Subs: Howieson, Hewitt, Bartley, Wallace.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Loach; Stearman, Kisnorbo, Smith, Mings; Edwards (cpt) (Hewitt 81), Hyam, Wordsworth, Cresswell; Nouble (Marriott 61), Murphy.
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Chambers, N’Daw, Tabb, Martin.
Referee: Mr M Russell
Attendance: 12,820 (830 away)