MATCH REPORT: Ipswich Town 1 Leeds United 2
Ipswich v Leeds: Ipswich Town suffered defeat for the third time in their opening four league games as Leeds United came from behind to win 2-1 at Portman Road.
The Blues played some scintillating football in the opening half an hour and fully deserved to lead through David McGoldrick’s fine finish.
Aaron Cresswell hit the bar and Jay Tabb netted from an offside position as the home side dominated, but the game turned on Leeds’ fortuitous equaliser in the 28th minute.
Ross McCormack’s long-range shot into a crowded box looked tame, but the deflection off of Luke Chambers took it straight into the path of Luke Varney and he finished high into the net.
Leeds had barely threatened, but they made it two shots on target, two goals soon after the restart. This time, McCormack drifted inside from the left, his shot from the edge of the box taking a minor deflection off of Cole Skuse and creeping under keeper Scott Loach. The Blues keeper should have done better.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich then never really looked like equalising in a powderpuff second half which was in stark contrast to their very impressive start to the match.
- See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for match comment and reaction.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Cornell attracting Championship interest as Ipswich contract is terminated
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 6 The 36 best restaurants in Suffolk according to the AA guide
- 7 GP surgery with more than 3,000 patients announces closure
- 8 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 9 5 cheap or free things to do in Suffolk this weekend
- 10 Oxford boss hits out at 'ludicrous' League One spending while appearing to take swipe at Ipswich Town
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Loach; Hewitt, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Edwards (cpt) (Anderson 64), Skuse, Hyam, Tabb (Tunnicliffe 64); McGoldrick, Murphy (Nouble 74).
Subs: Gerken, Veseli, Berra, Taylor.
LEEDS UTD (4-3-3): Kenny; Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Warnock; Austin, Green, Murphy; McCormack, Hunt (Tonge 85), Varney (Poleon 74).
Subs: Ashdown, Diouf, Wootton, Drury, Smith.
Attendance: 18,322 (1,950 away)
Referee: Mike Dean