MATCH REPORT: McGugan’s late winner breaks nine-man Ipswich Town’s hearts
- Credit: Archant
Forest v Ipswich: The gutsy Blues fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest, on a night which ended with the visitors down to nine men.
Lee Martin was handed a straight red card in the first half for lashing out at Henri Lansbury, before Richard Stearman received a second yellow after catching Andy Reid in the face.
Town were also denied what looked to be a stonewall penalty in the first half, but referee David Webb angered the away fans and instead awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, after Martin was hauled down.
The visitors, who matched the hosts for the majority of the contest, went behind when McGugan, a second half substitute, launched a hopeful long-range effort that wrong-footed Stephen Henderson and trickled into the back of the net.
Mick McCarthy’s men are four points clear of the drop-zone ahead of Saturday’s trip to Peterborough who could move out of the bottom three with victory against Ipswich.
Read Reece Brown’s thoughts and Chris Brammer’s match report and analysis, including pictures from the game, in Wednesday’s Ipswich Star.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 8 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR