MATCH REPORT: Reading 2 Ipswich Town 1
Reading v Ipswich: READING came from a goal down to inflict defeat on Ipswich Town on the opening day of the new Championship season.
The Blues took the lead in the 16th minute through Jay Tabb’s low finish, the ex-Royals man drilling home a low shot after his initial far post volley was parried back into danger and only half-cleared.
Town appeared to be finishing the opening period the stronger, with the home crowd beginning to get on their side’s back.
However, Ipswich failed to clear a corner just before half-time and, when Garath McCleary put the ball back into the box, the telling touch appeared to come off of Blues defender Tyrone Mings’ head as both he and Cole Skuse contested an aerial challenge with Adam Le Fondre.
The match was evenly poised in the second period, with David McGoldrick inches away from converting a low Daryl Murphy cross and both keepers – Alex McCarthy and Scott Loach – making good stops in a frenetic spell.
You may also want to watch:
It was the newly-relegated Royals who found the breakthrough though when Danny Guthrie’s speculative shot from 25 yards out took a deflection off of Luke Hyam to loop over a stranded Loach.
– Reaction to follow.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Busy high street taped off by police
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
READING (4-4-1-1): McCarthy; Gunter, Pearce, Morrison (cpt), Bridge; McCleary, Karacan, Guthrie, Drenthe (McAnuff 80); Robson-Kanu (Williams 68), Le Fondre (Pogrebnyak 83).
Subs: Federici, Kelly, Gorkks, Obita.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Loach; Hewitt, Chambers, Smith, Mings; Edwards (cpt) (Anderson 82), Skuse, Hyam, Tabb; McGoldrick (Nouble 82), Murphy (Taylor 75).
Subs: Gerken, Berra, Veseli, Tunnicliffe.
Referee: Mr D Coote.