MATCH REPORT: Watford 0 Ipswich Town 1
Watford v Ipswich: IPSWICH Town finally ended their Watford jinx tonight – but boy did they leave it late.
An even encounter appeared to be heading for a draw until Michael Chopra slid in to convert Carlos Edwards’ low cross in the final minute of the match.
The travelling army of more than 1,000 Blues fans will be getting ‘I was there’ t-shirts printed after a miserable run of results against the Hornets was finally brought to an end.
Town had lost 12 and drawn three of their previous 15 games against the Hertfordshire club and another share of the spoils looked to be on the cards this time around.
Ipswich did all the attacking the first half but were restricted almost exclusively to shots from distance. Watford then upped their game in the second period and looked dangerous when target man Chris Iwelumo stepped off the substitutes’ bench.
You may also want to watch:
Just like against Blackburn three days’ earlier, a youthful Blues kept going until the end. And again their perseverance got its reward.
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for full match report and reaction.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 8 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
WATFORD (4-3-3): Almunia; Hodson, Nosworthy, Taylor (cpt), Pudil; Murray (Anya 69), Hogg, Abdi; Vydra, Garner (Iwelumo 57), Yeates (Beleck 90+).
Subs: Bond, Dickinson, Doyley, Smith.
IPSWICH (4-2-3-1): Loach; Edwards (cpt), Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Luongo, Hyam; Emmanuel-Thomas (Drury 80), Martin, Carson (Scotland 77); Chopra (Delaney 90+).
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Stevenson, Murray, Ainsley.
Attendance: 12,422 (1,426 away)
Referee: Roger East