McAuley scores in defeat
IPSWICH Town defender Gareth McAuley netted with a sweet header for Northern Ireland, but it was not enough to prevent them from losing 2-1 to Serbia this evening.
IPSWICH Town defender Gareth McAuley netted with a sweet looping header for Northern Ireland, but it was not enough to prevent them from losing 2-1 to Serbia this evening.
McAuley headed home a free-kick by Chris Brunt just before half-time, to chalk up his second international goal.
But hosts Serbia, who were forced to play this European Championship Qualifier behind closed doors due to their part in the recent abandoned game against Italy, secured the win through second-half goals from Pantelic (65) and Tosic (74).
The defeat leaves Northern Ireland struggling to qualify from Group C.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, striker Tamas Priskin, who yesterday moved on loan to Swansea from Ipswich, came on as a 78th minute substitute in Hungary’s 4-0 home defeat to the Netherlands in a Group E Qualifier. Town keeper Marton Fulop was on the bench,
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 5 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 9 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash