McCarthy plans to make changes at Burnley
- Credit: Archant
Burnley v Ipswich: BLUES boss Mick McCarthy says he will make changes to his side for Saturday’s curtain-closer at Burnley.
Town secured their Championship status for another season with a 3-1 home win over Birmingham last weekend and can only finish somewhere between ninth and 18th, while Burnley are two points behind them also in the comfort of mid-table.
Asked if it will be hard for his players to show the same intensity of play with little riding on the match, McCarthy said: “Yes, without a doubt, it’s hard to keep banging those nails in when the pressure has lifted.
“We want to win on Saturday, but the reality is that – from when I first came here last November right up until last Saturday – the whole goal was to stay in the league.
“It’s really difficult not to just think phew and breath a sigh of relief. That said, the training has been good, bubbly and relaxed. There’s been a real relief around it.
You may also want to watch:
“We all know there’s one game to play. We want to be professional and do things correctly, go about the job right and then not finish the season on a sour note.”
He added: “Everybody is fine. There is only Paul Taylor and Josh Carson out of the whole squad that aren’t fit.
- 1 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 6 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 7 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 8 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 9 Teacher denies sexually assaulting two girls
- 10 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
“There will be no change in formation in terms of 4-4-2, but there will some differences in the team. I will make some changes.”
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for McCarthy’s thoughts on expiring contacts, keeping loanees and his transfer plans.