Mick McCarthy admits fresh face would lift his squad and is open to the idea of a swap deal
- Credit: Lucy taylor
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says he’s not ‘desperate’ to make any more additions before the January transfer window close on Friday, but says he is open to the prospect of a swap.
The Blues have today signed 31-year-old Middlesbrough right-back Frazer Richardson – out of contract in the summer – on loan until the end of the season to boost their defensive numbers to six.
Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Reading moved Town back to within two points of the play-off places heading into tomorrow night’s match at a Leeds side who have lost their last five matches in all competitions and are winless in seven.
McCarthy still has one of the smallest squads in the Championship, but says he feels he has adequate cover for all positions.
Asked if he was likely to bring in any more additions before the window closes, he said: “I’m not sure. We’ll keep looking. We’re not desperately seeking anyone, I have to be honest.
You may also want to watch:
“I keep saying, I’ve got a good squad of players. Getting the extra defender was important because that now gives me six. Up until that I had my regular back four and Tyrone Mings. Now I’ve got cover for both full-backs and of course Chambo (Luke Chambers) can play centre-half, which is his best slot.
“I’m well covered everywhere else; I’m alright.”
- 1 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 8 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 9 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
Two midfielders who previously played under McCarthy at Wolves – Emmanuel Frimpong (Arsenal) and Jamie O’Hara (Wolves) – have both been linked as potential incoming deals, while the likes of keeper Scott Loach and midfielder Anthony Wordsworth are down the pecking order at present.
Asked if there might be any outgoing business, McCarthy said: “It’s unlikely. I’ve only got 20 players really. We had 18 outfield players at the weekend and that was including Alan Lee and Kyle Hammond.
“It’s unlikely unless somebody wanted to do a swap. It is nice to get a fresh face in. It does give the rest of the lads a bit of a gee up if you can bring someone in. It just freshens it up. But if I don’t, I don’t.”
McCarthy has no fresh injury worries heading into tomorrow night’s match at Elland Road, Carlos Edward passed fit after feeling a tight groin at the weekend and Luke Hyam (cut leg) and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (hamstring) still sidelined.
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for full match preview.