Mick McCarthy: Freddie Sears will be a ‘real asset’ to Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy has revealed he’s been keeping tabs on new signing Freddie Sears ever since he scored against his Wolves side in the Premier League.
McCarthy, who brought Sears to Portman Road from Colchester United on a two-and-a-half year deal today, said the 25-year-old former West Ham starlet will be a ‘real asset’ to his promotion-chasing squad.
“Freddie blasted on to the scene with West Ham in the Premier League and I can remember him scoring when they beat us in my time at Wolves,” Mick told the Blues’ website.
“I’ve always kept half an eye on him and of course, he has been playing up the road at Colchester and whenever I have seen him play, he has done well.
“He’s scored 14 goals this season and with all due respect, that is for a club that has been scrapping at the bottom of the league.
“When we have looked at the goals he has scored, they have been different types of goals. He’s also quick and having watched him train this morning, he’s got a good touch on the ball.
“He was a prodigious young talent at West Ham and he probably made the step backwards to go forwards again, which he has done. He’s older now and stronger and he’s a good signing for us. He will be a real asset.”
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
- 7 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 8 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 9 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 10 Charlton Athletic 2-0 Ipswich Town: Limp Blues soundly beaten
- What do you think? Leave a comment below!