Mick McCarthy will look for a replacement right-back when Bradley Orr returns to Blackburn Rovers
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town boss Mick McCarthy will look to sign a new right-back when loanee Bradley Orr returns to parent club Blackburn Rovers following Saturday’s game at rock-bottom Bristol City.
Orr has played 12 times for the Blues during his three-month loan deal and a verbal agreement had been in place for that switch to be extended until the end-of-the-season.
New Rovers boss Michael Appleton has decided to renege on that though, deciding that he would like to take a look at the 30-year-old once his initial loan move expires on Saturday.
“He has been excellent,” said McCarthy. “He’s been a really good addition and I’m very sad that he’s going back. He had a tough start in the Leicester game (6-0 away defeat) and, by his own admission, he didn’t play well.
“It’s not easy coming in and playing with new players, but he has been excellent – certainly the last month, last six weeks. Really, really good.”
You may also want to watch:
He continued: “I think he’d be open to a return. I don’t actually think he wants to go back because he’s enjoying playing.
“I said to him circumstances have changed, there’s a different manager (at Blackburn) and if he goes back and is playing he’ll be happy because he’ll be able to see his twin boys and will be sleeping in his own bed.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 8 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 10 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
“But isn’t it lovely that he wants to stay here because he’s playing and enjoying it?”
Asked if he’ll put teenager Elliott Hewitt – who impressed on his full debut at Aston Villa recently – into the side, the Blues boss said: “Elliott has got a really bright future, but he’s not played that much football. I’d like to have some more experienced cover, someone who has played more games.
“Putting Carlos (Edwards) or Luke (Chambers) there, you’re kind of filling in. I’m looking to replace Bradley when he goes back.”
With the Blues boss still looking to add to his squad before the January transfer window closes, he said: “I hope we can do something, but I can’t tell you anything at the moment. Even if I could, I wouldn’t, but on this occasion it’s because I’ve got nothing to tell you, rather than not wanting to!”
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for all the latest Blues news.