MICK’S THE MAN: Matt Holland leads praise for Mick McCarthy
MATT Holland has backed Mick McCarthy to bring the smile back to the faces of Ipswich Town players.
The former fans’ favourite was widely tipped to have a key role in McCarthy’s backroom staff – but we understand that was wide of the mark.
It remains to be seen whether Holland does return to Portman Road in some capacity – he has taken some of his coaching badges – but it hasn’t stopped the former Blues captain from giving his backing to Town’s new manager.
Holland tweeted this morning: “Excellent appointment by #ITFC - Mick McCarthy is a very good manager and as honest as they come. The very best of luck to him and Terry.
“He also has a very dry sense of humour and will put a smile back on the players faces. 3 points on Sat now! #coyb.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the football world has united in its congratulations to new Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy.
In addition to football journalists from McCarthy’s past believing that Town were in safe hands following the official announcement this morning, former Town players have also praised the appointment.
- 1 Matchday Live: Millwall ahead in feisty pre-season clash
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 8 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 9 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 10 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
And former England striker Gary Lineker, host of Match of the Day where McCarthy worked as a pundit, said: “Good luck to Mick McCarthy at Ipswich. Very sound appointment. Top man!”
Ex-Ipswich player and manager Jim Magilton had tweeted his support of the former Wolves man throughout the week and this morning wrote: “Good luck to Mick – like to wish him well! He will appreciate the values and traditions of the club. Back to basics! Hard to beat!”
While former loanee keeper David Stockdale tweeted: “Morning all! A special good luck to waking ITFC fans and Mick McCarthy lets get this massive club back where it belongs!!!!!”