Most likely three to be dropped by Town today
IPSWICH TOWN: Carlos Edwards, Andros Townsend and Luke Hyam look to be the three most likely Blues players to lose their places for this afternoon’s Championship game against Cardiff City at Portman Road (kick-off 3pm).
The latter two were substituted at the interval of Tuesday’s 3-0 home reverse against Queens Park Rangers while it was no surprise when the ineffective Edwards was withdrawn during the second period.
Jaime Peters is a good bet to move into midfield and occupy one flank with Jason Scotland working on the other flank and behind Connor Wickham in attack.
Townsend appeared to tire after sitting out a three-match suspension while Hyam, 18, has done exceedingly well sitting in front of the back four but with manager Roy Keane saying that he is not going to flog the youngster it might be time for a breather.
Skipper David Norris and Grant Leadbitter can both fill the Hyam role although Keane might think the time is right to have a change from a 4-1-4-1 system that worked well up until last Tuesday.
Wickham looks a good bet to come in and with Darren O’Dea still unfit and Damien Delaney not impressing his manager in a reserve game against Colchester United on Wednesday, Troy Brown or Tom Eastman could come into the defence.
Keeper Marton Fulop feels certain that Ipswich can get a win against Cardiff.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 4 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
He said: “We have to correct our mistakes from Tuesday and then get some points on the board against Cardiff.
“They are a good side but so are we. Our players have shown that already this season and we have to do it again against Cardiff.
“QPR are the best team in this league, certainly when you look at their squad with Tommy Smith and Akos Buzsaky on the bench.
““They were better than us on the night but the beauty of football is that you don’t have to wait long for your next game.”
Cardiff manager Dave Jones will be assessing his injury list before naming his side but Michael Chopra and Manchester United loanee Daniel Drinkwater will be missing through injury. Craig Bellamy faces a fitness test.
Today’s likely squads
Ipswich Town: Fulop, Peters, Brown, McAuley, Smith, Kennedy, Hyam, Edwards, Leadbitter, Norris, Townsend, Wickham, Scotland, Priskin, Murphy, Healy, Eastman, Hourihane, Murray.
Cardiff City: Marshall; McNaughton, Hudson, Gyepes, Naylor; Burke, Olofinjana, Whittingham, McPhail, Bellamy; Bothroyd, Heaton, Rae, Koumas, Keogh, Wildig, Blake, Quinn, Taiwo, Matthews, Jarvis.
Referee: Mr F Graham (Essex)