Murphys make up Ipswich name game team
IPSWICH TOWN: The name’s the same as far as the Blues are concerned.
Towards the end of last season, Brian and Daryl Murphy became the 11th pair of ‘same name’ players to appear in the Town first team at the same time.
The list stretches from Tommy and Stan Parker who were members of the Ipswich team in their Third Division South days just after the Second World War right up to goalkeeper David and on-loan striker Daryl in 2009/10.
Although the Gregory brothers – David and Neil – were on Town’s books at the same time they did not play together in the senior side.
Neil made his debut against Wimbledon on December 16 1994 two months after David played his last game for the club against Chelsea on October 23 1994.
The full list is:
PARKER: Tommy and Stan. This duo played in 127 games together between the 1946/47 and 1950/51 seasons. Stan played 134 games for Ipswich, all but seven of which Tommy also played in.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
BROWN: Tom and Jackie. These two played in 84 games together between 1948/49 and 1950/51 and they played 53 times together when the two Parkers were also in the side.
CALLAGHAN: Willie and Harry. Harry’s one and only senior game was against Swansea on December 4 1954 with Ipswich losing 6-1 and Willie scoring the Town goal.
REES: Doug and Derek, who played 37 games together in seasons 1957/58 and 1958/59.
BOLTON: Jackie and Ronnie, who played three games in the same side in the 1965/66 season.
HARPER: Dave and Colin. They featured in 10 games in seasons 1965/66 and 1966/67. On February 19 1966 the Boltons and Harpers appeared together against Plymouth away. Ipswich lost 3-0. This was Colin’s debut, with Dave coming on as substitute for Bobby Kellard.
WOODS: Charlie and Clive played in two games. Clive making his first two appearances as substitute against Newcastle and Everton at home in the 1969/70 season.
WRIGHT: Richard and Jermaine. They played 82 times together in two seasons 1999/2000 and 2000/01.
BENT: Darren and Marcus, who were in the same team 32 times between 2001/02 and 2003/04.
WRIGHT: Richard and David. They played in 36 games together in 2008/09 and three times last season.
MURPHY: Brian and Daryl, who were involved in 15 games together last season.
Information compiled by JOHN ABBOTT.
WHAT are your recollections of the above pairings? Let us know. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to sports department, Evening Star, 30, Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN.