New arrival Ablett had recommended Gomez to Keane
Roy Keane is happy to have got his man to Portman Road.
The Blues manager revealed last night that it was new coach Gary Ablett who instigated the arrival of fitness coach Antonio Gomez to Sunderland at a time when Keane was boss at the Stadium of Light.
“They knew each other at Liverpool and Gary put me on to Antonio,” said Keane.
Gomez followed Keane from the North East to Suffolk at the start of last season while Ablett joined the Ipswich staff this summer.
“When ‘Charlie’ McParland said that he could not carry on as coach this season I was happy to go to Gary,” added Keane.
“He had been in the back of my mind anyway after we met on a pro licence coaching course.
“Gary is really up for it and he has settled in well and he has brought with him bags of experience.
- 1 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 2 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 9 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 10 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
“He has worked with Liverpool reserves, which means he has worked with top players.
“And he has managed Stockport County, which means he has worked at a club with a small budget and a dependency on loan players.
“He did a reasonable job at Stockport, and I’m pleased to have him onboard.”
Ablett has agreed a one-year contract, which is ready to sign and the paperwork should be completed later this week.
He joins Mike Pejic as a new Town coach this summer with Pejic head of youth coaching and coach education as well as running the reserve team. Pejic has signed a two-year contract.