Young Ipswich Town duo sign new contracts
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Striker Ben Morris and defender Bailey Clements have signed new contracts with Ipswich Town.
Both players have signed new one-year deals, with the club holding the option to extend both by a further 12 months.
Morris has missed much of the last three seasons after suffering two knee ligament injuries but is fit again and has been given the chance to get his career back on track with the Blues.
The Academy graduate made his first-team debut in August 2017 when he came on as a second-half substitute against Crystal Palace in the League Cup and provided an assist as the Blues fell to a 2-1 defeat at Selhurst Park.
Following a loan spell at Forest Green Rovers in the first half of the 2018/19 season, two cruciate ligament injuries put his progress on hold but now he’s ready to stake his claim for a place in Paul Cook’s squad for the campaign ahead.
“I've had a tough two years with the injuries so I'm really happy to have this opportunity," Morris said.
“I'm back from injury now and I'm ready to go in pre-season. My return date pretty much coincided with the end of last season, so I couldn't train with the lads but it gave me more time to prepare.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 6 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 7 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
“It's a chance for me to prove myself again and I want to be involved and play games.
“I just want to play football, that's it."
Clements' one senior appearance came at Luton Town in the Carabao Cup in August 2019 and was a big part of Kieron Dyer's Under 23 side last season.