Nick Powell is ignoring Ipswich Town speculation
IPSWICH target Nick Powell has revealed he is trying to ignore the speculation and concentrate on helping Crewe Alexandra reach the League Two play-offs.
The 17-year-old was subject of a bid from the Blues last week – something his club have continually denied receiving.
But while Town’s focus seems to be more on Portsmouth duo Jason Pearce and Joel Ward – as they consider a third bid for the pair – Powell has done his chances of a move no harm after scoring his seventh of the season in Saturday’s 4-1 home win over Dagenham and Redbridge to become Crewe’s leading marksman this season.
But the Football League Young Player of the Month for December appears to have distanced himself from a move this month.
Powell told the Crewe Chronicle: “People tell me about speculation but I just try to ignore it. I am a Crewe player and want to do well and hopefully get the club into the play-offs. That’s the aim.
You may also want to watch:
“At this stage of my development it is important to be playing week in, week out. There is a learning process to go through, physically and mentally. This is the best club for me now.
“I am hoping to add a lot more to my game. I hope to score more goals – I am aiming for 12 this season. Everybody in the team wants to push for promotion and hopefully my performances can help that.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 8 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
And Crewe boss Steve Davies, who did himself no favours in Suffolk by questioning why Powell would want to join relegation-threatened Ipswich, added: “I will be very excited and very pleased if nobody goes. The squad is strong and we are getting better. I wouldn’t want to break us down by losing people so we are hopeful no-one leaves. It will be a success if we keep hold of everyone. It is important.”
Meanwhile, Keith Andrews is looking to cancel his contract with Premier League Blackburn Rovers.
The current Town top scorer, following his profitable half-season loan, would then become a free agent but might look to stay in the top tier – Wigan have been constantly linked – rather than a return to the Championship.