Nigel Reo-Coker signs for Ipswich Town
FREE agent Nigel Reo-Coker has signed for Ipswich Town until January.
The former Aston Villa and West Ham midfielder has joined on a three-month short-term deal and will meet up with his new team mates tomorrow.
Reo-Coker, who left Bolton Wanderers in the summer after their relegation to the Championship but has been unable to find a new club since, said: “Ipswich is a sleeping giant in the Championship.
“It’s a massive club with a great history and tradition. The facilities are first class and there is a terrific fan-base. It’s the right club at the right time for me and everything has just fallen into place.
“I had a good conversation with the manager (Paul Jewell). He’s highly respected in the game for what he has achieved and I know what he’s trying to do at the Club.
You may also want to watch:
“Ipswich may be at the wrong end of the table at the moment but it’s still early in the season and I’m sure with the manager and players the club have, it’s only a matter of time before things turn around.”
This website first revealed Town’s interest in Reo-Coker earlier this month, but the one-month loan move for Leicester City’s Richie Weellens appeared to have put that on hold.
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
But Jewell has managed to tie down the 28-year-old midfielder until January 12 – Reo-Coker becoming Town’s fourth signing in 10 days after the loan moves for Wellens, DJ Campbell and Bilel Mohsni.
Asked about his long-term plans, Reo-Coker said: ““I’ve no plans after that. I’m here for three months and am looking forward to it.
“I want to do the best I can for Ipswich in that time and we will see where it goes after that.”
Speaking about his latest signing, Jewell said: “There were a few clubs after Nigel so we are delighted to have him here.
“He’s played a lot of football in the Premier League and has a wealth of experience, even though he’s only 28.
“He will give us a lot of drive and energy in midfield. I think we have lacked that player to go and win the ball back for us and Nigel will do that.
“He has leadership qualities and has skippered teams wherever he has played. He’s also a strong character and that is what we need at the moment.”