Nine different centre-back partnerships has not helped Ipswich Town
IPSWICH Town boss Paul Jewell admits that a constant chopping and changing to his back five has contributed to the number of goals being conceded.
Town have conceded 56 goals in 28 games across all competitions this season. They are the Championship’s leakiest defence by a clear eight goals, with only Northampton – the Football League’s rock-bottom club – having let in more across the top four divisions.
And while Aaron Cresswell and Carlos Edwards have played virtually every match in the full-back positions, the fact that NINE different centre-back partnerships and four different keepers have been used has certainly not helped with consistency.
“We have been chopping and changing the keeper and centre-half partnerships due to injuries and loan expiries,” admitted Jewell. “It’s been unfortunate and it has probably had its affect.”
BREAKDOWN OF THE 56 GOALS CONCEDED
You may also want to watch:
David Stockdale (39 in 18); Arran Lee-Barrett (14 in 7);
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
Alex McCarthy (4 in 2); Richard Wright (3 in 1).
Ivar Ingimarsson / Damien Delaney (3 in 2 starts + any extra time on field together after subs taking place); Tommy Smith / Jack Ainsley (2 in 1+); Smith / Delaney (6 in 2+); Delaney / Ainsley (7 in 1+); Ibrahima Sonko / Delaney (4 in 4+); Sonko / Danny Collins (12 in 11+); Delaney / Collins (0 in 1+); Collins / Ingimarsson (16 in 4+); Smith / Sonko (6 in 2).