Ipswich Town not in talks to sign Owen Dale
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town have not entered into any negotiations to try and sign Crewe winger Owen Dale, we understand.
The Sun on Sunday has this morning reported that the Blues are 'keen' on the 22-year-old, but that a £1m asking price has made him 'too expensive' for suitors.
Fellow League One clubs Wycombe and Portsmouth are also said to be interested in the right-sided player, who scored 12 times last season, with Preston, Blackburn and Sunderland having all previously been linked.
And boss Paul Cook was in attendance when Dale scored twice as Crewe drew 2-2 at Charlton in late April.
However, we understand Dale is just one player on a long list of potential targets as chief executive Mark Ashton continues his drive to level-up the squad ahead of the big kick-off on August 7.
Sources in the game have told the EADT and Ipswich Star that clubs and agents are overplaying Ipswich's financial clout and interest in certain players to try and drive up prices in a depressed transfer market.
The Blues may be backed by an ambitious and well-funded new US-based ownership group in Gamechanger 20 Ltd, but rules still restrict them to spending a maximum of 60% of turnover on wages.
It's now understood that the fee paid for West Brom midfielder Rekeem Harper is actually less than the £500k initially reported and that limited add-ons mean the fee is highly unlikely to climb much higher than that.
Macauley Bonne became the club's fourth summer signing yesterday, the striker joining on a season-long loan from QPR.
Aaron Drinan is set to sign for Leyton Orient this week and will become the 20th senior player to depart since the end of last season.
Ashton yesterday revealed that the club is 'moving forward with one or two other additions'.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week